This simple recipe makes for both an easy breakfast and a delicious dessert!
It is vegan, plant-based, gluten-free, and pumpkin-spice, sooo… Safe for all to enjoy.
Oats are also a whole grain that is rich in fiber, supporting healthy digestion and working to control both blood pressure and blood sugar.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 small baked sweet potatoes (mashed) OR small can of pumpkin puree
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice (I prefer soy milk)
- 2 flax eggs (aka 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp warm water)
- 1/2c walnuts or nuts of choice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or raw honey
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Optionally, I sometimes add 2 scoops of a protein powder, like my favorite plant-based vanilla from KOS –> https://kos.com/products/kos-organic-vegan-plant-based-protein-powder
- Preheat the oven to 350° and lightly oil or spray a baking pan. I use a 9×9.
- Whisk flax and water in a large mixing bowl and let stand a few minutes.
- Add remaining wet ingredients (milk, potato/pumpkin, syrup/honey, and vanilla).
- Mix in dry ingredients (oats and spices).
- Press the mixture into your baking pan and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife would come out almost clean. Some of the pumpkin will remain moist, but that’s ok!
- Cool and cut into bars. I recommend a healthy serving is about 1/6 pan.
I hope you enjoy this yummy and nutritious start to your day! Let me know if you make them and what you think. 🙂